9.25.2010

A Grain of Rice for Your Thoughts?

No recipe to share today!  Just some thoughts.  The sun is out, the sky is clear, and we just got back from exploring thrift stores in the U-District--"getting our educations on the Ave," to quote Blue Scholars.  We didn't spend a penny other than on parking, and I'm feeling pretty damn good.  I'm also pretty sure I need to add a 70's style disco dress to my wardrobe. 

I’ve begun an activist kick over here.  Something about the people, the vibe, the energy—the chi of this place has been enough to germinate the seed of compassion and humility.  After several years of developing a rather jaded, cynical view of humanity, I’m actually kind of surprised.  I have a newfound interest in volunteering in the community garden to help produce organic veggies for the food bank.  I’m volunteering at a non-profit café that hosts a number of great live shows, which directly supports local music and ethically produced coffee beans.  Did I mention I live a stone’s throw away from an animal shelter?  The Universe plopped me down in a great spot!

We’ve been spending the past few days in the throes of great conversation.  One of my best friends (Eliza, the Cross Country Vegan) is in town and the evenings are full of philosophy and discussions about sustainability and getting back to nature.  Simplicity.  It’s a revolution.  Sure, we had these talks over decadent meals from Sage Café, but at least we’re thinking about this stuff, right?  And the food was all vegan and local.  Baby steps.

Mother Earth is opening her arms to me and I’m being pulled closer and closer into her embrace.  Lately, I’ve been forced to step back and acknowledge the entitlement and wastefulness of my own behavior.  The attitude that because something is easily obtainable and quite appetitive, we have the right to possess it.  To consume it.  It’s the newly-grown child in each of us saying, “Hey, I don’t need to ask permission for this anymore.  It’s here, and I have the money, so I can have as much as I want!” 

I am broke right now, but superbly wealthy compared to the majority of humans competing for resources on this planet.  I can have the occasional tempeh Reuben, chocolate chip cookie sandwich, down some coffee, or a Jamaican Jerk burger topped with plantains and served with a side of macaroni and cheese.  But am I truly making a difference?  There are many people in this world that can’t even gain access to the resources they need; it’s not just a matter of not having money.  I, however, have access to as much water and local grains and vegetables that I could dream of.  Eating locally and naturally is sustainable, healthy, kind, and I have to ask myself… 
Why am I not doing this instead?

Until next time...  

1 comment: