10.13.2010

The Deliciousness of Daikon


Cold is hanging in the air, trembling through leaves that dance their way down to sidewalks and lawns.  It mingles with the black crows while they huddle on power lines, eye-level with our cat as he perches contentedly on the living room windowsill.  Boxes of odd-shaped gourds are crowding the entrances to produce departments and barrels of locally grown apples are suggestively hanging out with cartons of caramels.  People are anticipating the spooky holiday by adorning their porches with skeletons and demons.  Yet, for this humble vegan, there is another holiday that begs for attention and careful preparation.  It’s time to test Thanksgiving recipes!

It’s not that I don’t dig Halloween.  In fact, I think it can be fun—and a great opportunity for your neighborhood dentist to rake in the cash before Christmas season.  However, this Thanksgiving is going to be a big deal.  Not only is it the first one that my husband and I will share since we got married, but it’s going to be the first one we’ll be cooking by ourselves.  

No pressure. 

I've been testing out recipes since August because I'm so excited.  Desserts, sides, main dishes.  There are are so many things to choose from!  Experimentation has deepened my love of vegetables and their ability to heal everything from my body to my attitude.  They shine brightly even in simplicity.  A great example: daikon root.
Braised Daikon

I've had a few experiences with daikon and never really liked it.  However, I decided to give it one last chance...and I'm glad I did!  This recipe is based on Alicia Silverstone's fantastic book The Kind Diet.  Haven't read it?  You should!

1 large daikon root
1 tbsp shoyu 
3 tbsp mirin 

Slice the daikon into 3/4-1/2 inch rounds and place them in a medium sized pan.  Fill the pan with water until it nearly covers the daikon, and add the shoyu and mirin.


 Bring the liquid to a boil, then cover and let simmer until all of it is absorbed.  This took about 40 minutes.
Serves 2

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try and make this for my halloween party! I think there's two people who are vegan and vegetarian that are coming so I'm trying to make some things they would enjoy to eat as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! I'm thinking about making something festive for Halloween! Maybe some cupcakes with bats or spiders on them :) I love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete