10.06.2010

Mushroom & Garlic Ravioli




Anyone who knows me is aware of my faithful and undying love for Stephen Colbert.  I was there during his years as a Daily Show correspondent and eagerly watched the first episode of The Colbert Report. I repeatedly creeped out my friends by informing them that he looks just like my father.  My loyalty is infallible!

That is, it was infallible until PETA's outraged response to Vice President Joe Biden serving hot dogs to U.S. troops on an episode of The Report.  They encouraged choosing the "lifesaving benefits of delicious vegan food" and  Mr. Colbert had the audacity to say that food cannot be "vegan" and "delicious" at the same time. I WAS OUTRAGED!

Actually, I laughed, because it was funny.  Still, it often surprises me that so many people have yet to experience the culinary delights of the vegan world.  

This stuff will cause your muffin top to spill over your jeans just as easily as an Egg McMuffin®.  I promise.  I was thinking about this today while enjoying another sugar overload from Flying Apron Bakery over in Fremont [see above...]

My adventures aren't limited to the occasional stop at a local Seattle restaurant, either; I'm feeling even spunkier in the kitchen!  On Monday, after a stressful interview, I decided to throw my energy into something I've never done before.  The results were fantastic.  Enjoy! :)



Mushroom, Spinach, & Garlic Ravioli
Before Monday night, I was a ravioli virgin. That's right.  I had never cooked dough in hot water before.  It was delicious.  It's pretty easy, too, although it can take awhile so I wouldn't recommend it after a particularly long day.

Pasta:
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon Ener-G Egg Replacer + 2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
5 tablespoons water

Filling: 
2 tablespoons olive oil 
2-3 garlic cloves (depending on how garlicky you like it)
1.5 cups of your favorite mushrooms, chopped
1 bunch of spinach, chopped fine
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
1/4 c. unsweetened marinara
salt, to taste 

To serve: 
Marinara, either homemade or from a jar (but make it organic and local if you can!)

Begin with the pasta dough. Mix the flour and salt together, then set aside.  In a separate bowl, combine egg replacer & applesauce.  Add to the flour mixture until all the liquid is incorporated.  Then, one tablespoon at a time, add the five tablespoons of water.  Sprinkle some flour on clean counter space and knead the dough for ten minutes.  [Think of the big muscles you'll have afterward!]  After ten minutes, wrap the ball of dough in cellophane and refrigerate for thirty minutes. 
Now, it's time to tackle the filling.  Heat the olive oil in a medium pan and then add the garlic.  Let it sizzle for a minute or so, then add the mushrooms.  Cook for two or three minutes, until the mushrooms start to soften, and add the spinach.  Add the oregano, basil, kalamata olives, marinara, and sea salt.  Turn the heat on low and let the ingredients get to know each other!  Just don't, you know, let them burn.  

At this point, it would be wise to set a big pot of water on the stove to boil.  It can take awhile!

When the dough is done sitting for a half hour, bring it back out to the counter.  You might want to add a little more flour, depending on how sticky things are.  Roll out the dough until it's about 1/2 inch thick.  Grab a little glass or a round cookie cutter and cut out pieces of the dough. 

To fill your ravioli: take a tablespoon or so of the filling and place it below the bottom half of the circle of dough.  Then, fold the entire circle in half, bringing the bottom half of the dough up to the top.  Use your fingers to press the edges together.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat. Drop 4-5 ravioli at a time into boiling water.  You'll know they're done when they float to the top (cool, huh?!). 

Serve them on a plate or in a bowl with marinara and a side of roasted vegetables.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, MAN!!! I am definitely going to try this ravioli. It looks incredible!

    I love Stephen Colbert, too. Have you ever watched the show "Strangers with Candy"? That's one of my favorite shows, and he's absolutely hilarious in it!

    I still love him, despite his anti-vegan comments. I remember when he had Jonathan Safran Foer on & Foer was talking about his book "Eating Animals," Colbert grabbed a big plate of bacon & ate it while groaning & saying how delicious it was... It was pretty obnoxious & not funny, but OTHER than that, I'm a fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I'm excited to experiment with different fillings, like pesto and Tofutti cream cheese. Yum..! :)

    I haven't seen "Strangers with Candy," but it is now officially on my list of things to watch! I also didn't see the plate of bacon incident. Yikes... I'm going to see if I can find a clip of it online! :S

    ReplyDelete