2.06.2011

Vegan-niversary Weekend


This weekend is my VEGAN-niversary!  Okay, it’s actually on February 7th, but it’s more fun to celebrate on the weekend.  A year ago, I gave up dairy with the hope of improving some long-term digestive issues.  I had tried a gluten free diet and even went to a doctor, who was interested in running some tests.  Dollar signs flashed before my eyes, and I decided to try one last experiment.  I gave up milk, cheese, and ice cream.  Soon after, I ditched meat and eggs!


Veganism totally changed my life.  I have heard a lot of vegans say that, and it’s so true!  I used to think that a life without animal products was extreme; now, I can’t imagine ever consuming them again.  I feel light, happy, and very healthy.  I love that I’m taking a stand for the environment and the animals!  And, best of all, the food is amazing.  I’ve always been a foodie, and the yumminess factor has only gotten bigger!  Being vegan has taught me how to heal myself from the inside out.  I used to consider food to be an enemy; now, everything I eat is on my side (except for those chocolate chip cookie sandwiches from Whole Foods…).

This lifestyle change has been tremendously positive, so I decided about a month ago that I would celebrate.  My husband, who is still an omnivore but mostly vegan, bought me a delicious lunch yesterday at Thrive.  Their food is 100% vegan and gluten free.  A lot of their stuff is raw, too!  It was fun exploring their bulk section and the collection of books about raw living while waiting for our food.  I highly recommend the Oh My Wonka smoothie! Yum!! :D
 
We don’t typically eat out on a weekly basis, but I decided to keep the celebration going today by buying lunch at Flying Apron.  YUM!  I enjoyed a mini-pizza, which was packed with roasted veggies.  I’m a major fan of roasted garlic, so this was exciting!  My husband got the always-incredible vegan macaroni and cheese.  

What’s better than pizza and macaroni and cheese? Finishing them off with baked goods!  We picked out a carrot muffin and pumpkin ginger square (both are made without sugar).
  
Here’s to another year of deliciousness, good health, and great adventures!   

No comments:

Post a Comment