2.14.2011

Chocolate Covered Strawberries


 Happy Valentine’s Day!!!
Whether you choose to celebrate or not, at least treat yourself to something yummy today!  From cute ladybug chocolates at Whole Foods to the not-so-impressive tradition of candy hearts, there’s sugar to go around.  Or, if you’re like me, something without sugar but just as (if not more) satisfying!

Cedric and I have celebrated Valentine’s Day every year since we started dating.  During our first year, we lived four hours away from each other.  It sucked…a lot!  However, I’ll never forget how shocked and delighted I was when he sent me a bouquet of roses on V-day.  I had never been showered with gifts by a guy before, so it was awesome!  It was even more awesome when, a day later, a box of chocolate-covered strawberries arrived.  Yummmmm.

This year, I decided to surprise Cedric with the same thing—vegan and organic, of course! I secretively made my way through the pouring rain to our local Whole Foods, and quickly set to work.  I found some beautiful organic strawberries and earned a laugh or two in the bulk foods section when I bee-lined for the chocolate chips.  These are easy, beautiful, and delicious!

Vegan Chocolate-Covered Strawberries

16 oz carton of organic strawberries, washed and dried
⅓-½ c. grain-sweetened chocolate (or carob) chips
2 tbsp organic almond or soy milk
Pecans, chopped (optional)

Melt the chocolate chips and nut milk in a small pan over low heat.  Make sure to stir frequently and adjust the heat if necessary so the chocolate doesn’t burn!  If you need to, add a splash more milk.  Once everything has melted down completely, remove from heat.

Take a strawberry and roll through the chocolate until it most of it is covered.  Sprinkle with pecans, if using.  When every berry has been chocolate-dipped, place them in the fridge.  If you'd like them to be closer to room temperature, take them out of the fridge at least an hour before eating!

This makes enough for leftovers.  Keep the love going all week! ;)


3 comments:

  1. Aw, so glad that you had a good Valentine's Day! These strawberries look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! I love finding fellow vegans! These strawberries look AMAZING!! I'm gunna have to try this!

    XOXO

    http://lovejennyxoxo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess- Thank you! I may have to make them again. I still have some chocolate chips left over!

    Jenny- I love finding fellow vegans, too! We all rock! :)

    ReplyDelete