3.14.2011

Warm Berry Crisp

Happy Monday!  It was a long weekend for us.  My birthday is in a few days and my family flew over from eastern Washington to celebrate.  That meant major tourist activities--hello Space Needle--and a lot of eating out!  It was a lot of fun showing my nieces around the big city.  It wasn't as fun being constantly reminded that I don't eat animal products.  Certain family members couldn't seem to get past that.  Although, eating at a lot of standard restaurants meant lots of "rabbit food" for me, so it probably seemed extreme!

So, fast forward to today.  After watching my family wolf down pizzas smothered in cheese, sandwiches stacked high with cold cuts, and cheesecakes...I felt it my duty to make up for the plates of salad I picked at, however cheerfully.  I whipped out a bag of organic mixed berries from the freezer and decided to try my hand at a treat served at my favorite bakery, Flying Apron.  The results had both my husband and I wishing for more!

 Warm Berry Crisp 

The original baked good that inspired this (The Berry Oat Wondie from Flying Apron Bakery) uses all gluten free ingredients.  However, I didn't have any gluten free oats or flour on hand so I used other stuff!

1 ½ to 2 cups frozen berries, thawed (I used a mix of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
¼ cup Earth Balance®
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup rolled oats
¼ to ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
Chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Spread your berries of choice in a baking dish.  If you have ramekins, use those; I just used half of an 11x13-inch casserole dish.  Set aside.

Melt the Earth Balance® in medium-sized bowl and stir in the vanilla extract and cinnamon.  Add the oats, stirring to coat.  Add ¼ to ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour, enough to make the mixture crumbly (but not too dry).  Finally, add the maple syrup.  Taste test!  If it seems a bit bland, drizzle on some more maple syrup.  Spread the oat mixture on top of the berries.  If using, sprinkle with chopped walnuts!

Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.  The oat topping should be a bit brown and crisp, and the berries should be bubbly and oozing their juice.  Yummm!

Serves 2, or 4 small servings

1 comment:

  1. This looks so delicious! Berry crisps are definitely one of my favorite desserts. Yum!

    ReplyDelete